PGA Tour Brunch Round 3 @PGA
@PGATourBrunch Continuing Coverage of 2021 PGA Championship
THIS WEEK: The 2021 PGA Championship
COURSE: The Ocean Course at Kiawah Island Golf Resort (South Carolina)
YARDS/PAR: 7,876 yards/Par 72
SOCIAL MEDIA: #PGATour #FedExCup @PGAChampionship
TV COVERAGE: On Saturday, May 22 and Sunday, May 23 - ESPN’s coverage runs from 10:00am to 1:00pm (EDT), then CBS takes over from 1:00pm to 7:00pm (EDT).
STREAMING: ESPN will stream coverage online and ESPN+ ($) will provide Featured Groups and Featured Holes. See: (link)
ONLINE and RADIO COVERAGE: Radio coverage begins at 1pm (EDT) today and Sunday and continues through the completion of each day’s play. Hear live hole-by-hole coverage co-produced by SiriusXM and Westwood One. PGA Radio is available on Sirius 208/XM 92) or online on PGATour.com. PGA Tour Radio will be back next week. For additional information, see: Sirius XM Blog
How to Watch: (PGATourCom)
PGA Tour Brunch - PGA Championship Notebook
Three of Louis Oosthuizen's four 36-hole lead/co-leads on the PGA Tour have now come in Majors.
With a win at the PGA Championship, Phil Mickelson (50) would become the first player to win a major championship at age 50 or older. To date, the oldest player to win a major is Julius Boros, at the 1968 PGA Championship when he was 48 years, 4 months, 18 days old.
Mickelson became the sixth player since 1900 to lead/co-lead after any round of a Major in four different decades (1990s, 2000s, 2010s, 2020s). The others: Sam Snead, Tom Watson, Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player, and Raymond Floyd)
Reigning Masters champion Hideki Matsuyama is two shots off the lead; the last player to win multiple majors in the same season: Brooks Koepka (2018 U.S. Open, PGA Championship).
Three of the top-four players in the Official World Golf Ranking missed the cut: Dustin Johnson (1), Justin Thomas (2), Xander Schauffele (4).
There have been no bogey-free rounds through 36 holes at Kiawah Island Ocean Course.
PGA Championship Leaderboard After 36 Holes
Phil Mickelson 70-69—139 (-5)
Louis Oosthuizen 71-68—139 (-5)
Brooks Koepka 69-71—140 (-4)
Branden Grace 70-71—141 (-3)
Christian Bezuidenhout 71-70—141 (-3)
Hideki Matsuyama 73-68—141 (-3)
Full Leaderboard (link)
Special PGA Championship Discount:
Subscribe to PGA Tour Brunch this week and get our lowest possible pricing for a year of golf news.
PGA Championship Tee Times continue today at 7:40am (EDT) to 2:40pm (EDT).
Weather: The weekend forecast is good. On Saturday, weather calls for mostly sunny skies, 52-degrees with winds 16 mph (W/SW). Only a 10% chance of rain. On Sunday, partly cloudy, 51-degrees but 80% humidity and a 10% chance of rain. winds 15 mph (W).
PGATourBrunch will be posting at 7:30am (EDT) on Sunday.
Next Week: Charles Schwab Challenge (Colonial, Fort Worth, Texas)
What They’re Saying:
Mickelson in Contention at PGA Championship (Yahoo Sports)
Lefty Hits ‘Em Straight, Tied for Lead (ESPN)
Scoreboard Jinxes Ian Poulter (Golf Channel)
Cameron Tringale Goes from Two Down to 15 Down in Five Holes (Golf Channel)
PGA Championship 2021 Prize Pool (CBS Sports HQ)
Field Update: (Thursday) Francesco Molinari (WD) / Brandon Hagy (in)
On This Day in Golf History:
May 22, 1988 - Lanny Wadkins made a three-foot birdie putt on the final hole to win the Colonial National Invitational Tournament in Fort Worth, Texas by one stroke over Mark Calcavecchia, Ben Crenshaw and Joey Sindalar. Wadkins shot a five-under par (65) to win his 18th of 22 career PGA Tour titles. Courtesy of Randy Walker, Author of On This Day in Golf History, available via Amazon.com and by clicking HERE